Being in the home inspection business in Connecticut for quite a while, we at Renovee Inspections have seen a considerable number of homes. Since we’ve finished such a significant number of inspections on the purchaser’s side of things, we have a pretty solid of understanding about what kind of things tend to put the brakes on a deal.
We realize that is the exact opposite thing you need to happen when trying to sell your home. You don’t need any inspection issues to delay the deal closing when you have a potential buyer for your home.
That is the reason we’ve put together this thorough rundown of things to keep in mind to before even listing your home. Taking care of these items now will spare you future time, money, and headaches.
- Check your windows, check screens for damage. Replace any missing hardware.
- Inspect appliances for good working condition. Repair any issues.
- Ensure there is adequate insulation in the attic.
- Clean all floors and carpets.
- Make sure doors close and lock in good order. Check seals for damage.
- Assess your garage or carport for any needed repairs and make sure garage door is working properly.
- Check all the light apparatuses and supplant any lights that are out.
- Ensure all roof fans are operational.
- Guarantee you have covers on all outlets.
- Make sure your smoke finders and carbon monoxide indicator are operational and under 10 years of age.
- Inspect all faucets and fixtures for any issues.
- Look at all pipes for satisfactory draining.
- Ensure water heater is working properly and has been recently flushed.
- Replace furnace filter if necessary.
- Clean your condenser unit.
- Have an expert give your AC unit an inspection and cleaning.
- Check to see if the outside of the home has any noticeable damage.
- Check windows for any air leaks. Caulk if necessary.
- Check eaves and soffits for damage.
- Check your foundation to make sure that the ground around it is sloping away from your home.
- Repair cracked sidewalks, steps, or porch.
- Ensure tree limbs are away from the home.
- Trim bushes and tidy up your yard or garden.
- Inspect and fix any issues with the roof, chimney, or skylights.
- See if the gutters and downspouts have been cleaned and are draining appropriately.
Upon the day of the inspection, ensure your home is perfect and in order. You will need to have it cleaned very well too. Making a good first impression is just as essential as having everything in tip top shape. If you happen to have a septic system that isn’t easily identifiable, make a quick guide of where it’s situated for the inspector. In the event that you have pets, take them to a friends’ house or put them away until the inspection is finished.
At Renovee Inspections, we strive to make the home selling process less demanding for you. By being ready, your home inspection will go easily. By dealing with these things ahead of time, you spare issues later, and you will be able to list your home for a higher asking price.
Ready for your inspection? Give us a call!